Thursday 28 November 2013

Do YOU Answer Your Own Phones 24/7?

No, not a secretary or an answering service.

I'm talking about YOU the business owner...actually answering the phone.

Because THAT was our niche.

We answered our own phones...24/7...365. Just call 1-800-705-ROSE(7673) and not only did you get a live body, you got the owner.

When we started with their website back in 1998, we were going to be different.


When you wanted us...you got us...at any time of day or night.

Which was fine during regular business hours.

But how about in the middle of the night? Yup, had to answer within 3 rings and try to sound intelligent when the customer in Singapore wanted to place a flower order for delivery in Kenora.

Washroom break? Not going to happen...the mobile phone & order pad went with me.

Watching my daughter's softball game? Mobile phone & clipboard with order forms attached. Sometimes I even brought my laptop & tethered to my cell phone to get wifi...so I could process the order and our customers didn't have to wait for an Order Confirmation.

Holidays? Nope...the phone went with me.

But did it work? Sure did! We built our internet business from 0 customers to a database of over 37,000 customers today.

But growth has its price.

Something had to give...and it did.

In 2004 at the ripe old age of 43, I had the heart attack. A stent and two angioplasties.

And two days after surgery I was back at my desk taking calls.

But the writing was seriously on the wall. Enough was enough.

We actually incorporated an online shopping cart AND started with an answering service soon after.

Today, I still answer the phones. From 6:00 in the morning to 4:00 in the afternoon Monday to Friday, and from 8:00 to 2:00 on Saturday and Sunday.

That's only 62 hours a week, but still better than 168, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment