Wednesday 23 October 2013

Good Deeds Sometimes DO Get Punished

So we had an order come in online, at 2:20 in the afternoon.

It was for same day flower delivery to the Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver.

I knew it was tight for time. I knew I had to rush to process the order in our point of sale, and send it to our sister shop in Vancouver. I knew that a miracle had to happen!

IT DIDN'T.

Normally I don't accept orders past 1:00 for same day delivery, because orders take time to process, the arrangement has to be constructed, and hopefully a driver is still around at the end of the day for delivery. I had my fingers crossed, but a busy shop in a big city like Vancouver might make it work.


I took a chance...and it backfired big time.

In Special Instructions, I informed the delivery service to deliver the following morning if it was too late for today. The sender of the floral arrangement didn't see these instructions when I emailed her Order Confirmation Invoice.

So.....the order didn't get delivered until the following morning, BUT...


...when we mark an order delivered, it triggers a Delivery Confirmation email to the sender.

And the Confirmation had the previous day's date!

So the sender thinks it was delivered on the day she requested, but it wasn't.

It was just an oversight in not changing the date, but now the trouble begins.

We were liars...incompetent...rude...you name it. "You said it was delivered on Monday and it wasn't delivered until Tuesday morning. Your business is terrible and I'll never use you again!"  And of course this all gets posted to Social Media as a negative review about how awful our business is.

All because we over-promised and under-delivered.

We tried to be accommodating, and it didn't work.

So we get a negative review, for the world to see.

Lesson learned!


No comments:

Post a Comment